There will be a Yoga Nidra Retreat 26th - 31st March 2018 at Swami Rama Sadhaka Grama (SRSG) in Rishikesh, India. The purpose of this retreat is for participants to learn the procedures.
Prerequisite for attendees:
Mantra initiation in our tradition.
Previous attendance at a relaxation workshop or two years of practices with advancing relaxation methods within our tradition.
Registrations will be accepted upon the discretion of the presenter.
Printouts will be given for each segment taught. Each segment will be guided separately and then students will practice that segment. There will be homework practice between lessons.
Segments will include:
• Diaphragmatic breathing
• Shavasana, correct position
• Exercise without Movement
• Relaxation by first tensing each limb then relaxing
• Simple relaxation
• Subtler relaxations: right side, left side, finer tissues, internal organs
• 31 points
• 61 points
• 61 points with blue star
• 61 points with blue star with one’s mantra
• Whole body breaths: the feeling of movement, vayu, during these exercises is of the pranamaya kosha.
• 4 different patterns of whole body breaths
• Short version of quick conscious rest
• OM kriya
• Whole body breaths as taught in Path of Fire and Light under “Yoga-Nidra”
• Yoga nidra proper
• Explanations of Delta brain waves
• How to come out of yoga nidra
For more about the topic of yoga nidra, please see (click on title):
• Four States of Yoga Nidra by Swami Veda Bharati
• Defining Yoga-Nidra: Traditional Accounts, Physiological Research, and Future Directions by Swami Veda Bharati, Dr. Stephen Parker (Stoma) and Dr. Manuel Fernandez.
• Yoga Nidra Refined Silence by Swami Veda Bharati
•Mastering Yoga Nidra by Swami Veda Bharati
• Yoga Nidra, Part 1 (video) with Swami Veda Bharati
• Yoga Nidra, Part 2 (video) with Swami Veda Bharati
• Yoga Nidra (video) with Swami Veda Bharati
• My Experiments with Yoga Nidra: Inward Perceptions by Swami Veda Bharati
• A Brief Form of Yoga Nidra by Swami Veda Bharati
• Dear Yoga Mentor, My Question Is…"difference between yoga nidra and meditation" by Swami Ritavan Bharati
• A Successful Yoga Nidra Retreat by Dr. Stephen Parker (Stoma)
• Use of Yoga Nidra for Creativity and for Enhancing Intuitive Faculty by Swami Nityamuktananda Saraswati
• After 3 Years of Yoga Nidra by Riccardo Valdettaro
• After Years of Yoga Nidra I Am Moved from the Inside
• Conquering Sleep: The Practice of Yoga Nidra by Randall Krause (Mokshadeva)
Recommended study materials:
• Path of Fire and Light, Volume 2 by Swami Rama
• Enlightenment without God by Swami Rama
• Om the Eternal Witness: Secrets of the Mandukya Upanishad by Swami Rama
• Exercise without Movement as taught by Swami Rama, Vol. 1, by Swami Rama
• Mandukya Upanishad (Video Series) by Swami Rama: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqWXsj2xZg4&list=PLEF1719C37C7BA62E
• Proving the Power of Meditation, Swami Rama in Probe magazine, 1973:https://www.swamiramasociety.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/swamiramaprobe1973.pdf
• 1973 Britannica Yearbook of Science and the Future, Excerpted from “The Psychic Boom” by Samuel Moffat https://www.swamij.com/pdf/swami-rama-britannica-1973.pdf
• Exercise without Movement audio with Swami Ritavan Bharati
• My Experiments With Yoga Nidra, Kindle Edition, by Swami Veda Bharati
There are also three audios below. However, Swami Veda has listed prerequisites for these; please see https://ahymsin.org/main/himalayan-tradition/standard-reading-list.html
• Advanced Relaxation audio by Swami Veda Bharati
• Yoga Nidra Series audios by Swami Veda Bharati
• OM Kriya audio (as taught by Swami Rama, recorded by Ma Radha Bharati).
Dr. Stephen Parker (Stoma) has a Yoga Nidra recording available at https://www.cdbaby.com/cd/drstephenparkerstoma