"The first stage in guidance is an initiation into a specific mantra... The word mantra means that which liberates the mind from all griefs, sorrows and agonies. A mantra consists of one or more words chosen specifically for leading a particular aspirant to the final Truth. Not every word can be a mantra. Mantras are not composed by the initiator. They have been handed down to him through his tradition, having been revealed to great Yogis and Seers while they were in a superconscious state. The science of mantra is very exact, but very few people know or understand its significance. Once initiated the disciple repeats and meditates upon his mantra throughout his life. And gradually the mantra leads him to the stage of samadhi." – Swami Rama, Lectures on Yoga.
Preparations for Mantra Initiation (taken from the AHYMSIN "Request for Mantra Initiation" information)
I would like to receive mantra initiation in the Himalayan Tradition as taught by H.H. Swami Rama of the Himalayas.
I subscribe to the meditational philosophy and the general guidelines of life as taught in the Himalayan Tradition.
I intend to practice regularly, periodically report on progress in spiritual practice, and refrain from mind-altering drugs.
I intend to keep a fixed daily meditation time; (Specify an hour and am/pm)
FOUR CONDITIONS FOR MANTRA INITIATION
1. Keeping a fixed daily meditation time.
2. Living a life conducive to meditation.
3. One must renounce the use of all mind-altering substances. In some cases, the would-be initiate may be asked to wait a few months if he/she has been taking such substances.
4. Completing a course of classes in breathing, sitting, and other preparations of Yoga Meditation with the teachers so to establish ability in the basic practices.
PREPARATIONS IN YOGA MEDITATION CONSIST OF:
1. Joints and glands exercises
2. Training the legs
3. Sitting correctly: with a straight spine
4. Relaxation procedures
5. Diaphragmatic breathing
6. Breath awareness
7. Breath awareness with so-ham
PRESCRIBED READINGS PRIOR TO INITIATION
1. Meditation and Its Practice by Swami Rama, p. 4-6
2. Path of Fire and Light, Vol. 1 by Swami Rama, p. 130-132
3. Path of Fire and Light, Vol. 2, chapter 9,”The Science of Sound”
4. Mantra and Meditation by Pandit Usharbudh Arya/Swami Veda, chapters 5, 10, 11 & 13
Recommended audio recordings:
1. Superconscious Meditation series by Swami Veda
2. Mantra: Its Use and Meaning by Swami Veda
REQUEST FOR A MANTRA AND INITIATION PROCESS
The request may be made by submitting the application to the resident preceptor/initiator who will note the date and time well in advance.
Your monetary offerings in appreciation for mantra initiation are not personal to the preceptor/initiator, nor are they mixed with general funds. "Guru-dakshina" are used to fulfill certain spiritual wishes of Gurudeva, H.H. Swami Rama. At the time the particular funds from mantra initiation offerings are reserved for serving sadhus in need of medical care and other help.
After being initiated, an initiate may make an inner spiritual commitment for helping with the Guru’s work.
ON THE DAY OF INITIATION
1. Please arrive at least half an hour before the appointed time. Sit in meditation.
2. Keep the stomach light.
3. Keep the mind peaceful and pure, preference towards silence.
4. For married persons, previous night’s celibacy is recommended.
5. Come without bodily perfumes or powders.
6. Bringing an offering of fruits, flowers and such is common in all the spiritual traditions.
7. You will be guided to your initiation where you will sit in correct meditation position with your right ear towards the initiator.
8. During initiation only listen to the mantra without reciting it. Remain in silence and the preceptor will guide the initiation and instruction. A copy of the mantra initiation will be given to the initiate by the preceptor.
After the initiation, remain in touch with the preceptor/initiator and come for additional instruction and guidance when teachers of the Tradition are at your Center.
THE CEREMONY OF INITIATION